The Benthic Ecology Lab researches oyster bed community dynamics for restoration efforts in Chesapeake Bay. Volunteers will help process specimen samples from oyster reef ecosystems and other benthic sediments.
· Must be at least 16 years old.
· Tasks will include sorting and identifying invertebrates under a microscope; experience with using microscopes is helpful but not necessary if willing to learn.
· Samples will also be processed for dry weight so weighing samples on a balance will be required.
· Training on how to identify general marine invertebrates from Chesapeake Bay will be provided.
· Volunteers will be working with specimens stored in 70% ethanol.
· Volunteers should be comfortable entering data into Excel (or willing to learn).
· Great attention to detail and neat handwriting is desired.
· At a minimum, volunteers should be able to commit to a 3 hour block of time per week to work. Scheduling is very flexible.
For questions about these volunteer opportunities, please contact Jennifer Dreyer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 804-684-7903.
1375 Greate Rd
Gloucester VA, 23062
There are no attachments.